Friday 7th of September · Happy Birthday Big Ben!
Elizabeth Tower · UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1987
Today is the anniversary of Big Ben. It is 159 years old. The tower is a British cultural icon recognised all over the world. It is one of the most prominent symbols of the United Kingdom and parliamentary democracy
You know that...
· February 1900: The heavy build-up of snow on a clock face impeded the progress of the hour hand, causing the clock to stop for about eight hours
· 1916: For two years during World War I, the bells were silenced and the clock faces were not illuminated at night to avoid guiding attacking German Zeppelins.
· 10 May 1941: A German bombing raid damaged two of the clock's dials.
· 12 August 1949: The clock slowed by four and a half minutes after a flock of starlings perched on the minute hand.
· 30 January 1965: The bells were silenced during the funeral of statesman and former prime minister Winston Churchill.
· 5 August 1976: First and only major breakdown. The Great Clock was shut down for a total of 26 days over nine months. it was reactivated on 9 May 1977.
· 17 April 2013: The bells were silenced as a mark of "profound dignity and deep respect" during the funeral of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
· August 2015: The clock was discovered to be running 7 seconds fast, and coins were removed from its pendulum to correct the error, which caused it to run slow for a time.
ALL THE INFO ABOUT BIG BEN · WIKIPEDIA
SPECIAL PROMO · GOLF LAS AMÉRICAS AS A PRESENT